- This event has passed.
WEBINAR: Project Rise: Bringing Relationship Education to Hispanic Youth
January 15, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Join the staff from Project Rise as they share with you how they are successfully engaging the Latino community including youth and their parents in healthy relationship skills programming.
Project Rise is utilizing Relationship Smarts PLUS (Sexual Risk Avoidance Adaptation) to prevent teen pregnancy, reduce associated risk behaviors, and promote healthy adolescent development among Latino teens aged 12-18. They are working in four neighborhoods of Los Angeles County where measures of sexual risk are significantly higher than the national average.
In focus groups the young people reported learning:
- Communication and relationships skills including ways to speak with family and friends as well as controlling their anger
- How to be self-reflective including understanding infatuation vs true love and effective decision making skills
- Ways to talk with their parents or a trusted adult about sex and healthy relationships.
- John Lewis, Southern California Director, Urban Strategies
- Guillermo Pichardo, Youth Advocate, Catalyst SGV
Who Should Attend: Teen pregnancy prevention organizations, social workers, staff in Community Action Agencies, Community Health, University Extension, Non-profit and faith based organizations, alternative high school educators, corrections, homeless youth programs, fatherhood, healthy relationships, any others working with risk-immersed youth.
Project Rise Webinar Powerpoint (pdf)
- January 15, 2020
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Event Tags:
- At-Risk Youth, Community Action, Corrections, Educators, Extension Agents, Fatherhood, Healthy Relationships, Runaway and Homeless Youth, Social Work, Teen Pregnancy Prevention
- Online Webinar
- United States
- The Dibble Institute