Learning to Pause is the first in a three-part series of Mind Matters Now.
It covers self-soothing skills that grow the space between stimulus and response. Participants learn a way to take charge of their emotions and improve their states of mind to respond to negative experiences.
Each skill presented uses innovative methods based on current research and neuroscience. Participants learn to address their physical, relational, and mental health needs. Mind Matters’ practical, hands-on lessons explore the effects of adversity and toxic stress along with the healing process. Each lesson includes activities that build resilience and increase hope.
- Participants will be able to utilize self-soothing skills.
- Participants will be able to pause and reflect to develop an observing self.
- Participants will be able to pause and listen to strengthen relationships.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate compassion towards the hijacked brain.
Lesson 1: Self-Soothing – 33:53
- Mind Matters Overview
- Three Minute Breathing
- Peripheral Vision
- 5-4-3-2-1 Skill
Lesson 2: Discover Emotions – 48:36
- The Body Scan
- Inside Out Movie Trailer
- Emotional Intelligence
Lesson 3: The Difference Between Emotion & Thought – 45:10
- Thoughts or Emotions?
- The Internal Journal
- Developing and Observing Self
Lesson 4: Building Empathy -37:10
- Building Empathy
- Empathetic Listening
- Loving Kindness